Welcome to the page for the NAACP San Diego Branch Members’ Book Club. No reading is needed! Feel free to join the conversation whether you have read the book or not.
To join the club, or if you have questions, please send an email to [email protected]
We meet on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Each month, after we discuss that month’s book one of our members is chosen at random to nominate three books, and we vote among those three for the next book we read.
Current book: The Water Dancer
Discussion on March 10th. Join us early, at 6:30 pm, for a virtual get together (no book talk…just much needed socializing)! Then, whether you have read the book or not, join us to discuss this enthralling novel.
- March 10: The Water DancerMembers’ Book Club Book of the Month: The March book club book is The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates. #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • OPRAH’S BOOK CLUB PICK • From the National Book Award–winning author of Between the World and Me, a boldly conjured debut novel about a magical gift, a devastating […]
- February 10 Book Club: The House on the Cerulean SeaMembers’ Book Club Book of the Month: The February book club book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret. Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a […]
- January 14: The Vanishing HalfMembers’ Book Club Book of the Month: Our first book club book of 2021 is The Vanishing Half by San Diego writer Brit Bennett. Weaving together multiple strands and generations of this family, from the Deep South to California, from the 1950s to the 1990s, Brit Bennett produces […]
- December 9: The Fire Next TimeMembers’ Book Club Book of the Month: Our next book club book is The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin. A national bestseller when it first appeared in 1963, The Fire Next Time galvanized the nation and gave passionate voice to the emerging civil rights movement. At once a powerful […]
- November 11: The Underground RailroadMembers’ Book Club Book of the Month: The alternate history novel tells the story of Cora and Caesar, two slaves in the southeastern United States during the 19th century, who make a bid for freedom from their Georgia plantations by following the Underground Railroad, which the novel depicts as primarily a rail transport system in addition […]
- October 14: CasteMembers’ Book Club Book of the Month: Please join us! We will meet, via Zoom for now, once per month to talk and share our feelings about books we’ve read selected by our members. Everyone will have the opportunity to nominate books for future meetings. We are meeting […]
- Sep 9: HeavyMembers’ Book Club Book of the Month: We are meeting at 7pm on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Criteria for book nominations includes anything related to the African-American experience and any books written by black authors regardless of topics. To join, just send an email request to […]
- Aug 12: The Bluest EyeMembers’ Book Club Book of the Month: The Bluest Eye is Toni Morrison’s first novel, a book heralded for its richness of language and boldness of vision. Set in the author’s girlhood hometown of Lorain, Ohio, it tells the story of black, eleven-year-old Pecola Breedlove. Pecola prays for her […]
- Book ClubNAACP San Diego Branch members are starting a book club! Please join us! We will meet, via Zoom for now, about once per month to talk and share our feelings about books we’ve read selected by our members. Everyone will have the opportunity to nominate books for future […]
All are welcome! E mail [email protected] for details.