- Section 8 Lawsuit Year-End UpdateIn 2020, NAACP San Diego continues fighting racial segregation through its lawsuit against San Diego Housing Commission. The lawsuit challenges SDHC’s discriminatory and segregationist policy of setting the Section 8 voucher levels prohibitively low in predominantly white neighborhoods. SDHC’s policy effectively steers families with Section 8 – disproportionately racial minorities – to segregated, high poverty […]
- Kwanzaa Opening Celebration at December 5th Annual Meeting
- Select Photos from the 2019 Freedom Fund DinnerOur 2019 Dinner was a fabulous affair. We’re sure those of you who attended would like to revisit the occasion with these photographs. As for those of you who missed it, now you, too can enjoy some of the fun. More pictures will be forthcoming.
- ACT-SO Creative Writing Workshop12pm – 2pm November 30, 2019 ACT-SO is hosting a unique crash course designed to challenge your thought process and make writer’s block a thing of the past. Though our scholarship program targets African-American high school students, people of all ages and backgrounds are welcome to join us! Don’t worry about materials; all supplies will […]
- 2019 Back-to-School Stay-in-School Rally and Fair was a Huge Success!Watch: The highlights of the day included: Parent Advocacy Workshop Parents not only received information, but shared insights and even felt comfortable sharing personal stories. A veteran received valuable information regarding IEP meetings. One parent was delighted to get information on getting help with her water bill (maybe not–you never know the the City!) ACT-SO: […]
- ACT-SO Visits the San Diego Art Institute12pm – 2pm September 28, 2019 FORGING TERRITORIES features African-American and Latinx members of the LGBTQ community pioneering in a frequently inhospitable land. It presents artists engaged in cultural storytelling that describes themselves, their friends, and their environments in striking visual ways. The NAACP had its national convention July this year and unanimously passed three […]
- Watch: ACT-SO Visits Casa del Rey MoroEvery month ACTSO participates in an enrichment activity. On August 30th, we sponsored a tour of the African Museum in Old Town.? Our next adventure will be September 28th, when we’ll be visiting the San Diego Art Institute in Balboa Park.
- ACT-SO Revisits Casa del Rey MoroInstructions for attendees of our 2019 visit to the African Museum in Old Town 4:30 PM: We will meet in Washington Square, near the big flagpole: Renita and/or Steve will be there to check you in, wearing their orange “I am ACT-SO” nametags. Each group will be assigned a group leader; please cooperate with your […]
- 5th Annual Interfaith Prayer Vigil Was a Moving ExperienceFor those of you who were not able to attend the Prayer Vigil, we want to let you all know that the Prayer Vigil was a moving experience with more that 60 people of different faiths, ethnicities, ages and parts of the county in attendance. The presenters were filled win sincerity, thoughtfulness and passion in their presentations […]
- Attendance Needed: SDHC Lawsuit HearingSEPTEMBER 13th! As you know, the NAACP San Diego Branch is involved in a lawsuit to fight the San Diego Housing Commission’s discriminatory and segregationist practice of setting Section 8 voucher levels too low to allow access to all areas of our city. Low-income folks are a positive asset to a neighborhood when that neighborhood […]
- July 11 Newsletter: 2019 STEM Camp VideoRead the newsletter…
- Back-to-School Stay-in-School Rally & Fair
- Fifth Annual Interfaith Prayer Vigil“I prayed for freedom for twenty years, but received no answer, until I prayed with my legs.” –Frederick Douglass In 2016, the NAACP adopted a resolution, proposed by the San Diego Branch, designating August 11th as a National Day of Mourning for African Americans killed in police interactions. Our first interfaith prayer vigil was celebrated […]
- Inaugural NAACP San Diego Branch Golf Tournament
- Dr Martin Luther King, Jr ParadeFinal Updates! T-Shirts are Here! The t-shirts are here. If you ordered a t-shirt, we have it for you. If you didn’t order a t-shirt, you can still pick one up in most common sizes. T-shirts cost $15. You may purchase one at the parade, or you may purchase one from 2-3pm on Saturday, January […]
BECOME A MEMBER!
Do you support our work? Join the team, and let’s get to work together!